Get PDF

V-I characteristics of Diode using Shockley diode Equation with MATLAB simulation


The V-I Characteristics of Diode can be expressed by an equation known as Shockley diode equation, and it is given by

\[Id=Is(e^{\frac{Vd}{nV_{t}}}-1)\]
Id=Current through the diode A
Vd = Diode voltage with Anode positive with respect to Cathode, V
Is=Leakage(or Reverse Saturation) current, typically in the range  10-6 to 10-15
n=Empiral constant known as Emission Coefficient or Ideality Factor, whose value varies from 1 to 2
Vt= Thermal Voltage and it is given by
\[Vt=\frac{kT}{q}\]
Where
q=Electron Charge: 1.6022x10-19 Columb (C)
T=absolute temp in Kelvin (K=273+°C )
k=Boltzmann’s Constant : 1.3806x10-23 J/K

Ref: Power Electronics Circuits, Devices  and Application (Second Edition) – Muhammad H. Rashid

Matlab Program:


Output Graph:




Thank You All
Share on Google Plus

About Praveen S

Hello everyone, I am Praveen S, currently employed as "Technical Design Engineer" for Polycab Wires Pvt Ltd , I am a BE Graduate in EEE from NMAMIT Nitte (Karnataka, India). I am very passionate about learning and sharing my knowledge relating to the areas of "Electrical and Electronics". Here's my blog to share my ideas and to improve myself.

7 comments:

  1. Dear sir
    how to write programm for
    I=I0*exp(q(V-IRs)/nkT)-1

    I want to simulate this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shyam,

      Can you send exact formula to my mail mypavi9@gmail.com. I unable to get the terms in your formula like "IO" or "IxO", "IRs" or "IxRs". Also, tell me the required graph axis (I vs V) or (I vs T) or anything else.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Thank You Sir. Please check your mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I get this?
    Voltage across the diode (VD) is taken as
    the independent variable changing from 0 V to 1 V with positive increments (steps) of 10 mV. Plotting three
    (3) such V-I characteristics, all on the same graph/axes with different reverse saturation leakage current
    as IS = 1 × 10 ^– 12 A, IS = 2.5 × 10^ – 12 A & IS = 5 × 10 ^– 12 A. Taking empirical constant as η = 1. Assuming
    ambient room temperature of 27 °C(300K).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Please share your email Id. So, I can communicate regarding this..

      Delete
  4. It will be more helpful if you could provide scilab code too for this. Please!

    ReplyDelete